Creating shareable content is critical to any content marketing strategy. Understanding the psychology of sharing, however, should be a priority when creating viral content.
The Psychology of Sharing
Hipster – Less likely than other sharers to use email for sharing content. These sharers are creative young and popular.
Careerist – These sharers are savvy business networkers and are more likely to share content on LinkedIn.
Altruist – These sharers are helpful, reliable, thoughtful, connected and only use email to share.
Selective – These sharers are resourceful, careful and thoughtful. They share informative content via social networks as well as by email.
Connectors – These sharers are creative, relaxed, thoughtful and use social media as a tool to organize their social lives offline.
We all share for different reasons…
- 25% of Facebook users don’t bother with privacy settings.
- Two new members join LinkedIn every second.
- YouTube reaches more U.S. adults aged 18-34 than any cable network.
- 90% of content is generated by 2% of Twitter users.
- Over 150 million Instagram users.
- 50% of Pinterest users have children and 80% of users are women.
How we share
- 23% of users check Facebook 5 or more times per day.
- 94% of users use Facebook and Instagram on mobile.
- 54% of users use Twitter and YouTube on mobile.
- 55-64 age bracket is the fastest growing demographic on Twitter.
- 189 Million Facebook users are ‘mobile only’.
- 32% of Fortune 500 CEOs have at least one profile on a social network. 68% have no social presence whatsoever.
- CEOs using social media for customer communication will grow from 16% in 2012 to 57% by 2017.
- 140 Fortune 500 CEOs on LinkedIn.
- 90% of executives check their inboxes regularly.
- 1 Million websites are integrated with Facebook.
- 67% of Twitter users are far more likely to buy from the brands they follow on Twitter.
- 85% of people feel more connected to a business when following them.
- 82% of buyers say they trust a company more when its CEO is active in social media.
Originally posted 2017-01-02 16:34:37.